I've spent the past few months actively trying to balance out my life. I feel as though I've spent the past several years working hard on my work, and now it's time to work hard on not working.
This is a real challenge for me, because work and school are two arenas in life in which I have been very successful. I understand how to succeed in those environments, my talents naturally lean that way, and it's easy for me to exploit that side of myself to some advantage.
But growing personally, developing meaningful relationships, coming to terms with a less tangible value system... those things are tougher. Most of my friends are work friends, and, as any of them will tell you, I spend a lot of my social time talking about work. I spend a huge amount of my free time thinking about work and my career.
Truthfully, it's somewhat detrimental to me as a person. I put myself in a position of heightened stress, of focusing on things that I can't do anything about, of dwelling on the negative. It is making me old before my time, when I never had much of a chance to be young.
So how do I free up that cognitive energy to focus on other things? How do I retrain my thoughts? How do I walk away from the end of the work day and leave it there, so that my free time is really free, is really my own, so that I can spend my thinking and feeling on other things, so that I can grow in more than one direction?
That's what this blog is about. In the past few weeks I've made some small changes to my daily routine that are having a huge impact on my sense of self, on my personal wellbeing, and I want to explore it further, maybe share some insights. I'll still keep the other blog, since that's important too, but I'd like to keep this one distinct. If you read more, you'll come to see why that distinction is important.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment